Just before 8:50 a.m. on Sunday, April 3, 2022, a 911 caller reported an acid spill at 8980 Barrons Blvd. in Highlands Ranch. When Local members arrived at Waterworks Aquatics, they blocked off the street and observed employees working to contain the spill. They confirmed that approximately 20-gallons of muriatic acid leaked inside of a mechanical room overnight and began spilling onto the sidewalk. All employees were evacuated to safer location, two were evaluated by Paramedics and thankfully they did not require medical treatment. SMFR and Douglas County Sheriffs Office established unified command of the scene and the Hazardous Materials Team made entry into the mechanical room to verify the leak was stopped. They used sodium bicarbonate and Fast-Act to neutralize the acid, then scooped the paste-like substance into buckets for an environmental clean-up company to dispose of. Haz-Mat personnel who worked in the hazard zone were all thoroughly decontaminated and medically checked before returning to duty. The incident was declared under control around noon.
Copyright @ South Metro Professional Firefighters Local 2086